The Best Landscape fabric is an ideal weed barrier to prevent weeds from the garden and many other areas. If you want a high-quality and heavy duty landscaping fabric, then read the full content, and select one from our list for better weed control.
There’s no doubt that weeds can make your plants weaker. We don’t like weeds, but weeds are part of every garden and landscape area. If you’d like to protect your garden & landscape areas from weeds without chemicals, then the landscaping fabric is an ideal option for you.
The fabric will save your garden and yard from weeds and many reasons. It’s quite hard to select a high-quality landscaping fabric because there’re so many options available on the market.
But don’t be worry about it, in this post, we’ve added 12 landscaping fabrics for every use. So, if you need a heavy duty landscape fabric to prevent weeds from your garden and yards, then you can purchase one from our list.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 5 : Best Landscaping Fabric
- Top 12 Best Landscape Fabric & Weed Barriers Reviews:
- 1. Dewitt P3 Pro 5 Best Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric
- 2. Southwest Boulder and Stone Best Commercial Grade Landscape Fabric
- 3. ECOgardener Premium Pro- Best Professional Grade Landscape Fabric
- 4. Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile Fabric
- 5. Scotts fabric 25 Years Pro- Landscape Weed Barrier Fabric
- 6. Dewitt 12YR450- Dewitt Landscape Fabric
- 7. AGfabric Landscape Ground Cover Fabric
- 8. Dewitt black 4×100 ft 3oz Weed Blocker Fabric
- 9. Super Geotextile, Weed Control Landscaping Fabric
- 10. Happybuy Non Woven Landscape Fabric
- 11. AHG Garden Weed Barrier , 3 by 300 Feet Fabric
- 12. UST PRO Series Weed Block Fabric
- Landscape Fabric & Weed Barrier Buyer’s Guide:
- Which is Better Landscape Fabric or Plastic?
- Should I Use Landscape Fabric?
- Some Advantages:
- Super Easy to Install:
- They’re Chemical-Free:
- Easily Water Can Pass Through:
- Looks in Soil Moisture:
- Prevent Weeds from Getting Enough Sunlight:
- Provides a Barrier That The Weeds Can’t Grow Through:
- Last for a Long Time:
- Some Disadvantages:
- Some Weeds Still Can Grow:
- Sometimes Weed Killer Fabrics Can Kill Some Current Plants:
- Visual Appeal:
- Hard to Replace:
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answer:
Our Top 5 : Best Landscaping Fabric
- Dewitt P3 Pro 5 landscape weed barrier
- Southwest Boulder and Stone Fabric
- ECOgardener premium 5oz landscape cloth/fabric
- AGfabric, Landscape Ground Cover
- Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile
Top 12 Best Landscape Fabric & Weed Barriers Reviews:
- Best Overall: Dewitt P3 Pro weed barrier Landscape fabric
- Best Commercial: Southwest Boulder & Stone Fabric
- Best Professional: ECOgardener Premium Fabric
- Best Heavy Duty: Dewitt 12YR450 Fabric
- Best for Walkways: Scotts Landscape Fabric
- Best for The Money: AHG Garden Weed blocking Fabric
- Best for Garden: AGfabric Ground Cover Fabric
- Best for All Types of use: Dewitt Black Fabric
- Best Geotextile: Super Geotextile Fabric
- Best Ecofriendly: UST pro series fabric
1. Dewitt P3 Pro 5 Best Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric
This Dewitt p3 Pro 5 weed barrier is one of the most popular and high quality landscape fabric to prevent weeds.
It’s a 5-ounce woven and needle punch polypropylene fabric that comes with one 3-feet wide by 250-feet long fabric roll, but also available in 5-roll.It’s a heavy-weight woven fabric that is designed for both professional and commercial use.
This 3 feet by 250 feet woven fabric single roll is good enough for quite a large project, but if one roll not enough for you, you need more, then you can check the 5-roll option or order 2-3 rolls.
This Dewitt fabric doesn’t fray when you cut and super easy to install & maintain. It has colored stripes located 12-Inch apart, and this feature makes it perfect for easy planting jobs. Also, it allows air, water, and nutrients to pass through- which is good for current plats.
Therefore, this Dewitt Pro5 conserves soil moisture, increases current plant growth, and prevents unwanted weeds. Also, it uses multiple-layer technology, and this feature makes it good enough to prevent all UV penetration and saves big on watering.
However, if you have a problem with sunlight causing damage to your fabric, then Dewitt p3 pro 5 can be an ideal option for you because it’s designed for resistance to UV light.
Features and Benefits:
- It provides complete weed control.
- Big save on watering
- It uses multiple-layer technology
- It is one of the best woven landscape fabric
- Moisture can easily pass freely through the membrane
- Pro 5 is a UV resistant
- It will keep harder varieties of grass from growing.
- Pro 5 will resist tears and punctures.
Read Next: Top 7 Potato Grow Bags
2. Southwest Boulder and Stone Best Commercial Grade Landscape Fabric
This Southwest Boulder and Stone fabric is an expensive option, but it comes with a roll of 6 feet wide x 300-feet long fabric, and it’s one of the best commercial landscape fabric right now on the market.
Southwest Boulder and Stone fabric don’t break down over time, and it keeps the garden and landscape area weeds-free and looking nice for a long time. It’s a non-woven landscape cloth that keeps the soil underneath healthy and fertile, and also it allows water, nutrients, and air to pass through as well. These features will help your plants to grow big and healthy.
This fabric especially designed for multi-purpose use. You can use it anywhere you want to keep weeds-free such as under hardscape areas, slopes and hillsides, gardens, planters, and more.
Luckily, this best landscape cloth even super easy to install- to install it, unroll, cut, and place it where you want, and then use garden staples to hold the fabric in place. Once you’ve placed it down, you can cover it with your desired materials such as rock, compost, mulch.
Overall, it’s a commercial-grade landscaping material, which is durable, sturdy, tear-resistant, easy to use, long-lasting. Also, it comes with 20 years guarantee. So, if you’re looking for a high-quality and heavy-duty fabric, you can go for this Southwest Boulder and Stone landscape cloth.
Features and Benefits:
- It is tear-resistant material
- It keeps the soil underneath healthy and fertile for your current plants
- This non-woven fabric allows water, nutrients, and air to pass through
- It’s a multi-purpose material
- Very easy to install and easy to use as well
- It’s a perfect option under rocks, gravel, compost, and mulch
Read Next: The 10 Best Fabric Planter Pots
3. ECOgardener Premium Pro- Best Professional Grade Landscape Fabric
Ecogardener premium 5oz pro landscape fabric is one of the best professional landscaping fabric on the market. It’s a high-quality fabric that makes gardener’s life easier and hassle-free. It’s a 5oz two-layered-needle punch fabric that provides the ultimate protection from weeds for a long time.
Therefore, this ECOgardener weed barrier fabric roll comes with 3 feet by 100 feet fabric but also available in various sizes- 3feetx5feet, 3feetx100, 3feetx250feet, feet4feetx50feet, 4feetx250feet, 4feetx100feet.
This fabric is heavy-duty, durable, and sturdy, and it especially designed for working in all weather. It’s environmentally friendly, easy to cut & use. Therefore, it allows water, air, and nutrients to pass-through.
For using this fabric, you don’t have to be an expert, or you don’t have to hire a professional because it’s very easy to use. To use it, unroll the fabric, cut it, and place it down on the area where you want to use it. But don’t let it uncovered because some users say that the sunlight damages it if it left uncovered.
Overall, this ECOgardener fabric is heavy-duty, durable, and lasts for a long time. Also, it comes with a 30 days money-back guarantee, it has more than 2k customer reviews on Amazon, and most of the reviews are positive. So, if you’re looking for a professional-grade fabric to prevents weeds, then you can check it out.
Features and Benefits:
- This is a thick and heavy-duty material
- It’s lightweight and easy to carry
- Very easy to install and use
- The efficient porous system for allowing water to get through
- It comes with a full 30 days money-back guarantee
- It’s durable and weatherproof
Read Next: How To Make A Fabric Grow Bag
4. Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile Fabric
This Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven geotextile fabric is our fourth pick, but don’t think it’s a bad one! It’s one of the top-rated woven geotextiles for landscaping. The geotextile measures 6-feet by 300-feet.
These geotextile fabrics are mainly used to hold the soil in place, but also, they can be used under gabions, rip rap, precast block, french drain, and driveway for sure. This particular geotextile is one pack but also available in two, three, four, and five-pack.
Usually, these woven geotextile fabrics are area, time, and money-saving product which is alternatives to the traditional methods using graded aggregate and sand filters. This fabric has almost 200 reviews, and 70+ percent of reviews are positive on Amazon.
Some users of this woven geotextile are not happy with this item, but most of the users of this geotextile are happy with it. Overall, if you’re looking for the best geotextile fabric for french drain and driveway, then you can check it out.
Features and Benefits:
- The ground cover is Sturdy, durable
- Also, it’s tear-resistant
- Won’t break down over time
- It designed to let air and water through
- Easy to install
- It conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value
- It’s a must-have product for homeowners
5. Scotts fabric 25 Years Pro- Landscape Weed Barrier Fabric
The Scotts landscape fabric is one of the long-lasting options, the company says that it will last for 25-years, and it’s the main reason why we pick this fabric. This fabric is durable, long-lasting, and one of the cheap options. It’s sturdy enough but lightweight which makes it super easy to move around.
Also, it’s easy to use, but make sure to pin it down with garden staples. The Scotts pro fabric is not that thickest but has the power to stop even the spread of grass in its tracks. It provides long trim superior weed control. But some customer says that it doesn’t let water pass through.
If you live in an area that has hardy weeds species that can shred standard weed control materials, then this fabric might be an ideal choice for you. Also, it’s the perfect fabric to use on walkways, patios, home yard, as some customer says it doesn’t allow water to pass through, so we don’t think it’s a good option for a garden, but it’s perfect for flower beds.
Features and Benefits:
- Comes with a 25 years guarantee
- Customers are happy with it
- Easy to carry
- Very easy to install and use
- This fabric lets in oxygen and water so your plants can be healthy
- It will cover the majority of large areas (gardens)
- Long time you don’t have to think about a replacement
- It’s a perfect fabric for garden
6. Dewitt 12YR450- Dewitt Landscape Fabric
Dewitt 12YR-450 fabric is yet another best weed barrier fabric. This is a great option for those, who live in areas where the sun can do lots of damage to a good fabric. Dewitt 12YR450 fabric is UV resistant, so weeds can’t grow.
Also, the material is very thick, durable, and lightweight ensuring that no weeds and grass cross this commercial grade fabric. This Dewitt fabric roll designed to last for a long time in our garden.
While it doesn’t come with 25 years guarantee like Scotts fabric, but it’s designed to last a full 12 years which is good enough longevity for most of the garden.
This fabric is very easy to use and safe for the environment. If you need a long-term solution for weeds, this will be a great option because it has a unique 3ply layer of wees protection that will keep our garden weeds-free for years.
This is a thick fabric, so when you want to cut, make sure you have a good pair of shears or a very sharp knife with you.
Also, this is very lightweight, so you have to make sure that it’s stapled in well otherwise it can be blown away.
Features and Benefits:
- This is highly UV resistant
- It is one of the best commercial grade weed barrier
- This is thick enough to block most weeds
- It has a unique 3 layer design so that the weeds won’t be able to penetrate it.
- Also, it prevents unraveling
- It’s super easy to use
7. AGfabric Landscape Ground Cover Fabric
This AGfabric ground cover fabric is yet another great fabric for garden, planning out your garden much easier with this fabric.
It’s a woven landscaping fabric which means that there’re plenty of entry points for water to seep in, so the soil remains healthy and moisture.
Also, this fabric employs soil erosion control, which is great for those areas that experience lots of annual rainfall.
Especially, the fabric of this ground cover mat is very good and environmentally safe. In fact, it is fully biodegradable after many years of use.
This particular Heavy duty weed fabric made of PP and PE plastic flat yard, which ensures full strength and elongation. This weed control cloth prevents direct sunlight.
Its strong structure prevents weed or grass from going through. AGfabric is one of the perfect fabric under rock, mulch, and gravel. They work great for small gardens.
Overall, this is a great fabric for small gardens. So, if you have a small garden and you want the best ground cover fabric, you can purchase this fabric.
Features and Benefits:
- It’s UV resistant and antioxidant
- It’s very easy to transport and construction
- Lines are perfect for making our gardens nice
- This material is plastic-based, but it’s environmentally friendly
- It’s very thick, so weeds can’t puncture is easily
- Sunlight doesn’t pass through at all
- It’s great fabric under gravel, rock, and more
8. Dewitt black 4×100 ft 3oz Weed Blocker Fabric
This is another great quality fabric from Dewitt. This Dewitt black landscape fabric is specifically designed for professional gardeners. The roll comes in 4 feet by 100 feet and weighs 3 ounces. And it uses multiple-layer technology.
It saves big on watering, by conserving the soil moisture it provides complete weed control for your garden. The fabric is hydrophilic treated, which means its letting air, water, and nutrients through.
This Dewitt black fabric is black on the back side for the ultimate in sunlight blockage.
Features and Benefits:
- It saves on watering
- It’s environment-friendly
- Easy to use and install and it keeps soil moisture
- It provides complete weed control
- The product uses multiple-layer technology
- This is UV resistant
- It’s hydrophilic treated
9. Super Geotextile, Weed Control Landscaping Fabric
Super Geotextile 8oz fabric is a quality industrial grade Heavy Duty Geotextile fabric. This is a heavy-duty non woven landscape fabric for weed control.
It’s a very easy-to-use and install geotextile fabric, so even if you’re a beginner you don’t have to worry about installing it, you’ll be able to install it. This geotextile can be last for many years, and it’s UV, rot, and mildew resistant.
The Heavy Duty Geotextile fabric can be used for many projects, such as retaining walls, landscaping, french drains, underlayment, gardening, erosion control, riprap filter fabric, pond underlayment and much more.
Features and Benefits:
- It’s the best weed fabric
- Very easy to install
- It is UV and rot-resistant
- Can be used for many different projects
- It lasts for many years
10. Happybuy Non Woven Landscape Fabric
The Happybuy landscape fabric 6.5ft x 330ft- Heavy Duty 3.2oz Non-Woven Ground Cover is one of the popular & best non woven landscaping fabrics.
The item is one of the perfect and ideal options for those homeowners who want to keep their yard weed-free and looking great.Therefore, this heavy duty ground cover is sturdy, durable, and tear-resistant, and it won’t break down over time, it will last for a long time.
Even this ground cover is the perfect fabric for french drain. After that, if you want you can also use this item as a best weed control fabric or walkways underlayment.
However, the fabric is designed to let air and water through, also conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value as well.
With this material, you don’t have to be an expert because it’s very easy to install, you can easily install it in your home yard or garden.
Features and Benefits:
- It’s one of the popular non-woven landscape weed control cloth
- It is a 300′ Length x 6′ Width
- Perfect fabric for hold soil in place
- The geotextile has almost 200 reviews
- Most of the customer reviews are positive
11. AHG Garden Weed Barrier , 3 by 300 Feet Fabric
AHG garden fabric is a very good option for bigger gardens because its size reaching up to 300 feet in width. This is yet another great heavy-duty landscape fabric for a big garden. It is just like other fabric for landscaping that we’ve mentioned above.
Therefore, it’s Environment Friendly, and super easy to handle & use as well.
However, It’s very efficient in blocking weed seeds, this fabric also has a long shelf life of 20 years, if you maintain properly and can allow water to go into the soil. But it’s quite thick and has small pores, so you might have to soak the material for the water to fall through.
Features and benefits:
- Comes with 3×300 feet dimensions
- It’s UV resistant
- It is a very thick mesh for optimal protection
- It has 20 years shelf life
- Good for big ground (garden)
12. UST PRO Series Weed Block Fabric
UST Pro series 4×225 weed block fabric is one of the high quality Enviroment Friendly landscape Fabric. It uses a hydrophilic water-permeable material.
That’s why it has a water-permitting upper membrane, which helps to keep the moisture levels of the soil high and also keeps weeds away to have safe plants.
If you’re looking for the best weed block fabric which is made from environment-friendly fabric and last for a long time, then this Professional Grade Fabric can be an ideal one for you.
The weed blocker is rated to last for a full two decades so that our garden can be protected from weeds. UST Pro series is also a cost-effective selection because it provides 4×225 feet of fabric at a very low price.
Overall, it’s a good option for those people who need a nice amount of longevity and reliability.
Features and Benefits:
- It can last up to 20 years in our garden
- The hydrophilic water-permeable membrane lets the water seep into the soil very easily
- Very easy to place down and start planting
- It is environment-friendly
- The roll comes in 4×225 feet
- This landscape weed blocker is inexpensive
- This fabric has a thicker material that works like the materials professional landscapers use
Landscape Fabric & Weed Barrier Buyer’s Guide:
Already we’ve made this 12 landscaping fabric list, these products are high-quality, and they provides great weed protection. Now you can easily select one fabric to protect your garden and yard from weeds.
But you may think like can I go for fabric? or if you’d like to learn more about it, then continue reading: Because, here in this section, we’re going to discuss a little bit more about landscape fabric.
Which is Better Landscape Fabric or Plastic?
Especially, fabric does a better job at inhibiting weeds growth. Because fabric provides a thicker barrier for preventing sunlight and it has an easier time moisture through to the soil for your current plants to grow great. So fabric is good and better than plastic.
Plastic weed control barriers (sheets) can be very effective, but the main problem lies in plastic sheets that the sheets are to thin and they let some sunlight through.
You can test this yourself, just put the plastic sheet up to the sun and check if any light shines through, if it does then plastic sheets may not 100% kill of weeds. And also if you do not perforate your plastic sheets, they don’t let water pass through.
Should I Use Landscape Fabric?
There’s no rule that you must have to use landscape fabric, but it’s highly recommended. Because they’re chemicals free,
Some people use cardboard, old rug, newspaper, and plastic instead of fabric. These options are cheap, but they’re not healthy for your plants & environment. They can damage the soil, because these cheap options can block airflow, water, and nutrients.
On the other hand, landscape weed blocker fabric allows water, air, and nutrients to pass through, which means weed blocking fabric not going to damage the soil.
If you want to keep your landscape area nice & weed free, and if you really care of your plants, then the landscape weed control fabric is the best option. Fabric not only block off weeds also they make gardens/yard looking great.
But keep on your mind that, it’s not good option for used with annuals or vegetable gardens, because the plants often need to be removed & replaced as well. This material is a long term solution, so it’s great option for areas where things stay put, such as trees and shrubs as well.
Now we’re going to talking about advantages. You know what? there’re so many advantages to using a piece of dedicated landscape fabric.
The main advantage is they’re so easy to put down in the garden. But also there’re some other advantages as well.
Landscape-fabric have lots of advantages, some of them are listed below:
Super Easy to Install:
The fabric almost always easy to install (Put on the soil). And if they’re lightweight, you can easily staple into the soil. That’s why this makes the process of getting rid of weeds a fairly easy and simple one.
Landscape or Weed blocking Fabrics are chemicals-free. So, landscape (Weed control) fabrics are very safe for us and the environment because they don’t use chemicals. Weeds killer chemicals contain gases that are harmful to the environment, animals, and us(humans).
If you use chemicals, the chemicals often get mixed in water and making any consumer of the water prone to dangerous diseases. Landscape or gardeners fabrics are safe for everything. So, this is the great advantage of using fabrics.
Easily Water Can Pass Through:
This is another great advantage of using landscaping fabric. It’s very essential for plants to absorb enough amounts of water for their healthy growth.
Fabric not only keep water in the soil, but they also allow water to pass through them as well. If you use them in your garden, you can water your current plants as normal.
Looks in Soil Moisture:
Sunlight dries our soil very fast, especially during the summer time (sunnier months). Fabric effectively block out the sunlight from the soil, so that there’s a reduced rate of evaporation.
So, if you use landscaping weed barrier fabric in your garden your current growing plants will have some more water to absorb through their roots.
Prevent Weeds from Getting Enough Sunlight:
If we use fabric in our garden, the covered soil doesn’t get enough sunlight. That’s why any weeds that are able to come up, will find that the sunlight has become inaccessible due to the fabric. So, the result is that the weeds will die quickly.
Provides a Barrier That The Weeds Can’t Grow Through:
If you use weed blocking fabric, weeds can’t damage your growing plants. Firstly, the fabric is very hard for weeds to grow through.
Secondly, The weed formation is greatly inhibited, because of airborne weeds seeds won’t get anything to latch onto.
Last for a Long Time:
Landscape fabrics are last for a long time, but you have to select the perfect one. Some of the fabric lasts 10+ or more years.
Some Weeds Still Can Grow:
The main reason why weeds are so annoying is that some weeds are so hardy. Even if you have use landscape fabric, you may find that some weeds find a way to live, this especially happens on a weakness of perforated plastic barriers. A little hole on your fabric can cause this. But it’s not gonna be too many weeds, very few.
Sometimes Weed Killer Fabrics Can Kill Some Current Plants:
It’s not going to happen to all the plants if you plant germinates, their offspring can go under the fabric, that reason fabric can kill them as a weed.
This is The biggest drawback of landscape weed barrier fabric, is that they have a tendency to be unattractive, even if you use stone, compost, soil, or mulch to cover them but always there’s a chance that the material will be visible.
Hard to Replace:
Landscape fabric lasts for a long time, but when it comes to re-place you have to work hard. Because, you have to remove the existing fabric, and then install the fabric.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answer:
What are Some landscape fabric alternatives?
Some of the alternatives would be homemade and natural weed barriers such as an old rug, some old clothes, etc.
Does landscaping fabric let water through?
Yes!! It allows the water to go through them.
Can I put landscape weed blocker fabric over weeds?
Yes you can, even if there’re a lot of existing weeds and grass where your plants are. But what you have to do is you can put your fabric, and then add some pea gravel on top of it. But better to pull off the weeds and then install the weed blocker fabric.
Where can I buy weed barrier fabric online?
In this post, we’ve added only Amazon products, but there’re so many online store available for buying landscape weed barrier fabric. Just like Home Depot, Lowes, DeWitt, Walmart, Costco, Menards, etc.
Really, weeds can ruin our beautiful garden, and the chemical option seems like the nuclear option for us. Chemicals are dangerous for our health and the environment as well. Luckily, we’ve weed barrier fabric for prevents weeds and protect our garden.
So, buy fabric for your garden. If you want to protect your garden & yard from weeds, and you want to save on water, then the fabric is the best solution for you.