There is no doubt that Weeds can make your plants weaker. We don't like weeds, but weeds are part of every landscape area and garden. If you'd like to protect your garden & landscape areas from weeds without chemicals, then you've to use the best landscape fabric or best weed barriers.
Landscape fabric can save your garden/yard from weeds and many reasons.
Also, This material lasting longer, and if you use fabric in your garden, you will save on watering and conserve soil moisture.
It is quite hard to select the best landscaping fabric. because there are so many options available on the market. But don't be worry about it, in this post we've added 12 landscape fabric for every use. I Hope now you can easily purchase the heavy duty fabric.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 5 : Best landscaping fabric
- Top 12 Best landscape fabric & weed barriers reviews:
- 1. Dewitt P3 Pro 5 Best weed barrier landscape fabric
- 2. Southwest Boulder and Stone Best commercial grade landscape fabric
- 3. ECOgardener premium pro- Best professional grade landscape fabric
- 4. Mutual WF200 polyethylene woven geotextile fabric
- 5. Scotts fabric 25 years pro- landscape weed barrier fabric
- 6. Dewitt 12YR450- Dewitt landscape fabric
- 7. AGfabric landscape ground cover fabric
- 8. Dewitt black 4x100 ft 3oz weed blocker fabric
- 9. Super geotextile, weed control landscaping fabric
- 10. Happybuy non woven landscape fabric
- 11. AHG garden weed barrier , 3 by 300 feet fabric
- 12. UST PRO series weed block fabric
- Landscape fabric & weed barrier buyer's guide:
- Which is better landscape fabric or plastic?
- Should I use landscape fabric?
- Some advantages:
- Super easy to install:
- They're chemical-free:
- Easily water can pass through:
- Looks in soil moisture:
- Prevent weeds from getting enough sunlight:
- Provides a barrier that the weeds can't grow through:
- Last for a long time:
- Some disadvantages:
- Some weeds still can grow:
- Sometimes weed killer fabrics can kill some current plants:
- Visual appeal:
- Hard to replace:
- How to install landscape weed barrier fabric:
- Frequently asked questions and answer:
Our Top 5 : Best landscaping fabric
Top 12 Best landscape fabric & weed barriers reviews:
3ft x 250ft
3ft x 50ft
3ft x 100ft
4ft x 50ft
4ft x 100ft
3ft x 300ft
6.5ft x 300ft
4ft x 100ft
12.5ft x 25ft
4ft x 225ft
1. Dewitt P3 Pro 5 Best weed barrier landscape fabric
Dewitt p3 Pro 5 landscape fabric is a great option for those gardeners, who looking to protect their garden from weeds.
It is easy to use and install. It will save big on watering. Also, it is thick enough to prevent all UV penetration.
If anyone has problems with sunlight causing damage to their landscape barrier fabric, then p3 pro 5 will be a great option because it is treated to be resistant to UV Light.
This is the perfect choice for your everyday garden. Pro 5 weed barrier is one of the best options on the market. It is made of high-quality polypropylene fabrics.
Specially, DeWitt pro-5 fabric designed for professional and commercial use. This fabric has been approved by leading landscape architects and government agencies.
Features and benefits:
1. It provides complete weed control.
2. Big save on watering
3. It uses multiple layer technology
4. Moisture can easily pass freely through the membrane
5. Pro 5 is a UV resistant weed fabric
6. It will keep hardier varieties of grass from growing.
7. Pro 5 will resist tears and punctures.
2. Southwest Boulder and Stone Best commercial grade landscape fabric
This Southwest Boulder And Stone fabric is a quite expensive but it is one of the best commercial landscape fabric.
The fabric doesn't let weeds ruin your hard work. It keeps your garden and landscape area looking great for year-round.
It is durable, sturdy, and tear-resistant and it won't break over time. And it is a good option for homeowners who want to keep their yard looking great.
This Non Woven fabric allows water nutrients and air to pass through and it keeps your soil underneath healthy and fertile for your plants. It comes in 6x300 feet, and 20 years guarantee.
Also, this is a multiple purpose landscape fabric, you can use it on gardens, slopes, and hillsides, under hardscape areas, or anywhere where you want to keep weeds free.
It is super easy to install, just simply unroll, cut, and place it where you want. But make sure to use landscaping staples to hold the fabric in the right place, after that you can cover it with your desired materials such as rock, compost, mulch.
Features and benefits:
1. It is tear resistant material
2. This fabric keeps the soil underneath healthy and fertile for your current plants
3. This non-woven fabric allow water, nutrients, and air to pass through
4. It is a multi-purpose material
5. Very easy to install and easy to use as well
6. It’s a heady duty weed barrier under rock, gravel, compost, and mulch
3. ECOgardener premium pro- Best professional grade landscape fabric
Ecogardener premium 5oz pro fabric is a great landscape cloth.
This great quality landscape fabric makes gardeners life easier and also this is 100% hassle-free.
Additionally, this fabric designed to provide unparalleled weeds control, and this premium quality fabric will skyrocket your productivity and efficiency as well.
If you want to use this fabric, you don't have to find a professional or you don't have to be an expert, because it is very easy to use.
Also, it is very lightweight so that you can easily carry it. And it is heavy enough to protect your garden.
This fabric designed to let water and air through, also conserving your garden soil moisture and preserving its value.
This simple and easy gardening fabric going to keep safe your garden from weeds. It's a heavy-duty, durable and it lasts for a long time. Also, this company offers you 30 days money-back guarantee.
Features and benefits:
1. This is a thick and heavy duty fabric material
2. It is lightweight and easy to carry
3. Very easy to install and use
4. The efficient porous system for allowing water to get through
5. It comes with a full 30 days money back guarantee
6. It is durable and weatherproof
4. Mutual WF200 polyethylene woven geotextile fabric
This Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven geotextile fabric is our fourth product, but don't think it's a bad one! It is one of the top-rated woven fabric for landscaping, you can buy in 2020. The geotextile fabric measures 6-feet width and 300-feet length.
Therefore, these geotextile fabrics are mainly used to hold soil in place, but also, can be used under rip rap, gabions or precast block as well.
The Woven geotextiles are time and money-saving alternatives to the traditional methods using graded aggregate or sand filters as well.
After that, this fabric has almost 200 reviews, and 70+ percent reviews are positive.
Some users of this woven geotextile fabric are not happy with this item, but most of the users of this geotextile are happy with it.
Features and benefits:
1. The ground cover is Sturdy, durable
2. Also, it is tear-resistant
3. Won't break down over time
4. It designed to let air and water through
5. Easy to install
6. It conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value
7. It's a must-have product for homeowners
5. Scotts fabric 25 years pro- landscape weed barrier fabric
Scotts landscape fabric (25 years pro) is the perfect fabric for flower beds.
If anyone lives in an area that has hardy weeds species that can shred standard weed control fabrics, then this fabric may be a good choice for them.
This Scotts fabric can be last for up to 25 years, which means that it is durable and developed for longevity. That’s why it keeps even the hardy weeds out, and it is highly durable.
Its lightweight structure helps in mobility of the product, so you can take it anywhere easily.
And also, it is very easy to use, just you have to make sure to pin it down with garden staples.
The scotts pro landscape fabric will even stop the spread of grass in its tracks, which is makes this a good solution for those people who want to have a flower bed that isn’t choked by grass-roots.
It is very easy to install and use, so when you want to use it simply unroll, then cut, and staple into the soil, after that cut the area where you want to grow your plants.
If you use this fabric, no other weeds or grass will be able to puncture the material.
Features and benefits:
1. This fabric has 25 years guarantee
2. Customers are happy with this fabric
3. Easy to carry
4. Very easy to install and use
5. This fabric let in oxygen and water so your plants can be healthy
6. It will cover the majority of large areas (gardens)
7. Long time you don’t have to think about replacement
8. It is a perfect fabric for garden
6. Dewitt 12YR450- Dewitt landscape fabric
Dewitt 12YR-450 fabric is yet another best weed barrier. This is a great option for those, who live in areas where the sun can do lots of damage to a good fabric.
Dewitt 12YR450 fabric is UV resistant, so weeds can’t grow.
Also, the material is very thick, durable and lightweight ensuring that no weeds and grass cross this commercial grade fabric.
This Dewitt landscape fabric roll designed to last for a long time in our garden.
While it doesn’t come with 25 years guarantee like Scotts fabric, but it is designed to last a full 12 years which is good enough longevity for most of the garden.
This fabric is very easy to use and safe for the environment. If you need a long-term solution for weeds, this will be a great option because it has a unique 3ply layer of wees protection that will keep our garden weeds-free for years.
This is a thick fabric, so when you want to cut, make sure you have a good pair of shears or a very sharp knife with you.
Also, this is very lightweight, so you have to make that it is stapled in well otherwise it can be blown away.
Features and benefits:
1. This is highly UV resistant
2. This is thick enough to block most weeds
3. It has a unique 3 layer design so that the weeds won’t be able to penetrate it.
4. Also it prevents unraveling
5. It is super easy to use
7. AGfabric landscape ground cover fabric
This AGfabric ground cover fabric is yet another great fabric for garden, planning out your garden much easier with this fabric.
It is a woven landscape fabric which means that there are plenty of entry points for water to seep in, so the soil remains healthy and moisture.
Also, this fabric employs soil erosion control, which is great for those areas that experience lots of annual rainfall.
Especially, the fabric of this ground cover mat is very good and environmentally safe. In fact, this fabric is fully biodegradable after many years of use.
This particular Heavy duty weed fabric made of PP and PE plastic flat yard, which ensures full strength and elongation. This weed control cloth prevents direct sunlight.
Its strong structure prevents weed or grass from going through. AGfabric is one of the perfect fabric under rock, mulch, and gravel. They work great for small gardens.
Overall, this is a great fabric for small gardens. So, if you have a small garden and you want weed control barrier, you can purchase this fabric.
Features and benefits:
1. It is UV resistant and antioxidant
2. It is very easy to transport and construction
3. Lines are perfect for making our gardens nice
4. This material is plastic-based, but it is environmentally friendly
5. It is very thick, so weeds can’t puncture is easily
6. Sunlight doesn’t pass through at all
7. It is great fabric under gravel, rock, and more
8. Dewitt black 4x100 ft 3oz weed blocker fabric
This is another great quality fabric from Dewitt. This Dewitt black landscape fabric is specifically designed for professional gardeners.
The fabric roll come in 4 feet by 100 feet and weight 3 ounces. And it uses multiple layer technology.
This fabric saves big on watering, by conserving the soil moisture it provides complete weed control for your garden.
The fabric is hydrophilic treated, which means its letting air, water, and nutrients through.
This Dewitt black fabric is black on the back side for the ultimate in sunlight blockage.
Features and benefits:
1. It saves on watering
2. It is environment-friendly
3. Easy to use and install and it keeps soil moisture
4. It provides complete weed control
5. Product uses multiple layer technology
6. This is UV resistant
7. It is hydrophilic treated
9. Super geotextile, weed control landscaping fabric
Super Geotextile 8oz landscaing fabric is a quality industrial grade Heavy Duty Geotextile. This is a heavy duty non-woven fabric for weed control.
It’s a very easy to use and install geotextile fabric, so even if you are a beginner you don’t have to worry about installing, you will be able to install it.
This geotextile can be last for many years, and it is UV, rot, and mildew resistant.
The Heavy Duty Geotextile can be used for many projects, such as retaining walls, landscaping, french drains, underlayment, gardening, erosion control, riprap filter fabric, pond underlayment and much more.
Features and benefits:
1. It is a best weed fabric
2. Very easy to install
3. The fabric is UV and rot resistant
4. Can be used for many different projects
5. It lasts for many years
10. Happybuy non woven landscape fabric
The Happybuy landscape fabric 6.5ft x 330ft- Heavy Duty 3.2oz Non-Woven Ground Cover is one of the popular non-woven ground covers.
The item is one of the perfect and ideal options for those homeowners who want to keep their yard weed-free and looking great.
Therefore, this heavy duty ground cover is sturdy, durable, and tear-resistant, and it won't break down over time, it will last for a long time.
Even this ground cover is the perfect fabric for french drain. After that, if you want you can also use this item as a best weed control fabric or walkways underlayment.
However, the fabric is designed to let air and water through, also conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value as well.
With this fabric, you don't have to be an expert because it is very easy to install, you can easily install it in your home yard or garden.
Features and benefits:
1. It is one of the popular non-woven landscape weed control cloth
2. The fabric is 300' Length x 6' Width
3. Perfect fabric for hold soil in place
4. The geotextile has almost 200 reviews
5. Most of the customer reviews are positive
11. AHG garden weed barrier , 3 by 300 feet fabric
AHG garden fabric is a very good option for bigger gardens because its size reaching up to 300 feet in width.
This is yet another great heavy duty landscape fabric for a big garden.
This fabric just like other fabric for landscaping that we have mentioned above.
Therefore, it is Environment Friendly, and super easy to handle & use as well.
However, It is very efficient in blocking weed seeds, this fabric also has a long shelf life of 20 years, if you maintain properly and can allow water to go into the soil.
But it is quite thick and has small pores, so you might have to soak the material for the water to fall through.
Features and benefits:
1. Comes with 3×300 feet dimensions
2. It is UV resistant
3. This fabric is very thick mesh for optimal protection
4. It has 20 years shelf life
5. Good for big ground (garden)
12. UST PRO series weed block fabric
UST Pro series 4x225 weed block fabric is one of the high quality Enviroment Friendly landscape Fabric. This fabric uses a hydrophilic water-permeable material.
That’s why it has a water-permitting upper membrane, which helps to keep the moisture levels of the soil high and also keeps weeds away to have safe plants.
If you are looking for the best weed block fabric which is made from environment-friendly fabric and last for a long time, then this Professional Grade Fabric can be an ideal one for you.
The fabric is rated to last for a full two decades so that our garden can be protected from weeds. UST Pro series is also a cost-effective selection because it provides 4×225 feet of fabric at a very low price.
Overall, this landscape fabric is a good option for those people who need a nice amount of longevity and reliability.
Features and benefits:
1. This fabric can last up to 20 years in our garden
2. The hydrophilic water-permeable membrane lets the water to seep into the soil very easily
3. Very easy to place down and start planting
4. The fabric is environment-friendly
5. Roll comes in 4×225 feet
6. This landscape weed blocker is inexpensive
7. This fabric has a thicker material that works like the materials professional landscapers use
Landscape fabric & weed barrier buyer's guide:
Landscape fabric & weed barrier ensure that your garden weeds are cut off from the sunlight that they crave. These fabrics also prevent new growth from occurring as it will not allow airborne weed seeds to take hold in our garden soil.
Fabric will allow water, air, and sunlight to reach only what you want them to reach for your current plants. Also, you can make some fabric planter pots from this material for your container gardening.
Which is better landscape fabric or plastic?
Especially, fabric does a better job at inhibiting weeds growth. Because fabric provides a thicker barrier for preventing sunlight and it has an easier time moisture through to the soil for your current plants to grow great. So fabric is good and better than plastic.
Plastic weed control barriers (sheets) can be very effective, but the main problem lies in plastic sheets that the sheets are to thin and they let some sunlight through.
You can test this yourself, just put the plastic sheet up to the sun and check if any light shines through, if it does then plastic sheets may not 100% kill of weeds. And also if you do not perforate your plastic sheets, they don’t let water pass through.
Should I use landscape fabric?
There is no rule that you must have to use landscape fabric, but it is highly recommended. Because they’re chemicals free,
Some people use cardboard, old rug, newspaper, and plastic instead of fabric. These options are cheap, but they are not healthy for your plants & environment. They can damage the soil, because these cheap options can block airflow, water, and nutrients.
On the other hand, fabric allow water, air, and nutrients to pass through, which means weed blocking fabric not going to damage the soil.
If you want to keep your landscape area nice & weed free, and if you really care of your plants, then the landscape weed control fabric is the best option. Fabric not only block off weeds also they make gardens/yard looking great.
But keep on your mind that, it is not good option for used with annuals or vegetable gardens, because the plants often need to be removed & replaced as well. This material is a long term solution, so it is great option for areas where things stay put, such as trees and shrubs as well.
Now we’re going to talking about advantages. You know what? there are so many advantages to using a piece of dedicated landscape fabric.
The main advantage is they are so easy to put down in the garden. But also there are some other advantages as well.
Landscape-fabric have lots of advantages, some of them are listed below:
Super easy to install:
The landscape fabric almost always easy to install (Put on the soil). And if they are lightweight, you can easily staple into the soil. That’s why this makes the process of getting rid of weeds a fairly easy and simple one.
landscaping Fabrics are chemicals free. So, landscape (Weed control) fabrics are very safe for us and the environment because they don’t use chemicals. Weeds killer chemicals contain gases which are harmful for the environment, animals, and us(humans).
If you use chemicals, the chemicals often get mixed in water and making any consumer of the water prone to dangerous diseases. Landscape or gardeners fabrics are safe for everything. So, this is the great advantage of using fabrics.
Easily water can pass through:
This is another great advantage of using landscape fabric. It is very essential for plants to absorb enough amounts of water for their healthy growth.
Fabric not only keep water in the soil, but they also allow water to pass through them as well. If you use them in your garden, you can water your current plants as normal.
Looks in soil moisture:
Sunlight dries our soil very fast, especially during the summer time (sunnier months). Fabric effectively block out the sunlight from the soil, so that there is a reduced rate of evaporation.
So, if you use landscape fabric in your garden your current growing plants will have some more water to absorb through their roots.
Prevent weeds from getting enough sunlight:
If we use fabric in our garden, the covered soil doesn’t get enough sunlight. That’s why any weeds that are able to come up, will find that the sunlight has become inaccessible due to the fabric. So, the result is that the weeds will die quickly.
Provides a barrier that the weeds can't grow through:
If you use fabric, weeds can’t damage your growing plants. Firstly, the fabric is very hard for weeds to grow through.
Secondly, The weed formation is greatly inhibited, because of airborne weeds seeds won’t get anything to latch onto.
Last for a long time:
Landscaping fabrics are last for a long time, but you have to select the perfect one. Some of the fabric last 10+ or more years.
Some weeds still can grow:
The main reason why weeds are so annoying is that some weeds are so hardy. Even if you have use landscape fabric, you may find that some weeds find a way to live, this especially happens on a weakness of perforated plastic barriers. A little hole on your fabric can cause this. But it is not gonna be too many weeds, very few.
Sometimes weed killer fabrics can kill some current plants:
It is not going to happen to all the plants if you plant germinates, their offspring can go under the fabric, that reason fabric can kill them as a weed.
This is The biggest drawbacks of landscape fabric, is that they have a tendency to be unattractive, even if you sue stone, compost, soil, or mulch to cover them but always there is a chance that the material will be visible.
Hard to replace:
Landscape fabric last for a long time, but when it comes to re-place you have to work hard. Because, you have to remove the existing fabric, and then install the fabric.
How to install landscape weed barrier fabric:
Things you will need:
- Landscape or Weed barrier Fabric
- Landscape Staples (Pins)
- Hammer or Mallet
- Strong & Sharp Scissors
- Sharp Utility Knife
Select the right fabric:
Select A high Quality fabric. Don't just buy a thin fabric for landscaping area. You must buy a thicker and heavier fabric. Before you buy a weed blocker fabric, you must carefully read the product description, if the product is heavy duty, thick and durable, then buy it.
Application of weed barrier fabric is very important because we really don’t want to provide any space for weeds to flourish inside our garden. Keeping this in mind, it is very important to measure out fabric and secure it tightly in the soil.
1. Kill & remove existing weeds: Before you place the fabric, you must make sure that you kill and pull all the weeds that are preexisting.
2. Level the soil: Rake the area so that you can remove any excess weeds from your garden. Especially, you can use a rake to level the soil (area).
3. Install the fabric: Once you’ve removed weeds and leveled the area, and then lay down your fabric. Especially for a landscape weed barrier fabric, no side is specifically up (except very few brands, so you should check manual carefully), So just you can set it down where you want to set.
4. Secure the fabric: Now you’ve to secure the fabric, to secure your fabric, you can take your landscape staples that you can pound into the soil with your hammer at the corners of your fabric. Fabric must be tight against the soil, but it must still have some slack too, as well.
5. Make Hole for Your Plants: Now you have to use your sharp utility knife because you have to cut a cross into the material at the position where you want to grow your plants. After that, you can scoop out the soil, plant and then recover the plant with the removed soil, you’ve done.
Remember, if you wanna have a secure fit, you can use remaining staples to secure your fabric in place around your growing plants.
6. Cover the fabric with mulch: Now you can cover up the fabric with three or four inches.
Important note: When you install your landscaping fabric don’t be hurry, take enough time that you can finish nicely.
Frequently asked questions and answer:
What are Some landscape fabric alternatives?
Some of the alternatives to fabric would be homemade and natural weed barriers such as old rug, some old clothes, etc.
Does landscaping fabric let water through?
Yes!! It allows the water to go through them.
Can I put landscape weed blocker fabric over weeds?
Yes you can, even if there are a lot of existing weeds and grass where your plants are. But what you have to do is you can put your fabric, and then add some pea gravel on top of it. But better to pull off the weeds and then install the weed blocker fabric.
Where can I buy weed barrier fabric online?
In this post, we've added only Amazon products, but there are so many online store available for buying landscape fabric. Just like Home Depot, Lowes, DeWitt, Walmart, Costco, Menards, etc.
Really, weeds can ruin our beautiful garden, and the chemical option seems like the nuclear option for us. Chemicals are dangerous for our health and the environment as well.
But fortunately, we have weed barriers for prevents weeds and protect our garden. So, buy the landscape fabric for your garden. If you want to protect your garden & yard from weeds, and you want to save on water, then fabric is the best solution for you.
Some related items:
Read more about how to make a fabric grow bag