May you have had a bad experience with pilling. If your clothes have pilling or fuzz and you don't know how to remove pilling from clothes or fabric, you can't wear it in front of people. Also if your furniture fabric ( Couch, Sofa, Chairs ) got pilling, your furniture will look older and ugly.
I have heard lots of question about this topic on the internet, lots of people asking about it. That's why I decide to write about it, to help you out. You can use household items like a sandpaper sponge, a shaving razor, a strip of Velcro. Also, you can use tools to remove fabric or cloth pilling ( Like a sweater shaver, a sweater stone, or a sweater comb).
In this article, you will learn about removing pilling from fabric and clothes. It's might help you to keep your upholstered furniture and clothes new, and nice look. If you visit this page, please read the full content.
What causes fabric/cloth pilling:
The loose fabric fibers have a natural tendency to move to the surface of the fabric, where they start (Subject) to friction, Which causes them to twist together into small balls. In this case fibers, these are still secured to the fabric they are also twisted into the ball ( Pills ), that the pills secured to the surface of the material.
The main cause of fabric pilling is rubbing or abrasion during normal wear or use. Also, your washing machine can cause your clothes pilling during the washing
How to choose clothes or fabric that pills less:
Actually, there is no promise, so I can't promise you. Because there is no guaranty that a piece of fabric will never pill. But there are some great tips and tricks that will help you to keep your fabrics/ clothes looking their best longer.
* You should avoid the fabrics that are knitted, blends, woven fabrics. Because these fabrics combine Different types of threads. Especially those fabrics pill more, which fabrics combine natural and synthetic fibers. Before you purchase fabric, check the label.
* You can select woven fabric rather then knits. Woven fabric get less pill then knits fabric. But we love knits fabrics, If you want to have knits fabric, Always try to choose one that is tightly knit (Avoid the loose-knit).
How to prevent pilling on fabric/clothes:
Here are some great tips and tricks for preventing pills on fabric/cloth:
* Clothes that you think they will pill, for them use the washer's gentle cycle, shorter wash, and slower agitation cycle will protect your clothes from pilling. Other hands you can choose hand washing, which is more gentle.
* Always, try to avoid the electric dry, If it's possible. You must hang your clothes to dry rather than using an electric dryer.
* Don't use powder detergents, try to use liquid detergents. Powder detergents make your clothing more likely to cause pilling during the washing.
* When you decide to wash your clothes before you washing
your clothes, turn the cloth inside out then you can wash your clothes by hand or washer.
* You can choose a laundry detergent that contains enzyme cellulase. Enzyme cellulase will help to break down the cotton pills and remove them.
* Always Short your clothes before you wash. Like when you want to wash your jeans just wash them don't put shirts or other clothing together for washing.
* Don't overload your washing machine. If you overload your washing machine with clothes, there is no room inside the washer for your clothes to move easily and it causes damage to the surface of your clothes.
Removing pills from clothes/fabric:
1. Remove pills with household tools:
In this method, we will use some household stuff or tools to remove our fabric or cloth pills.
* Using a sandpaper sponge to remove pills:
You can use a sandpaper sponge to remove your clothing pills. Just take a sandpaper sponge and scrub your clothing areas where are pills, you will see pilling gone.
As we have known rubbing makes our fabric to start pilling, so don't scrub the whole areas of your clothing or fabric. Just scrub the pilling areas.
* Use scissors ( Trim with scissors):
It depends on the size and number of pills. You can be able to trim pills away with scissors from your cloth/fabric. Small nail scissors work great and it's safer. I recommend you to use small nail scissors. Simply lay your clothing on a flat surface then pull up individual pills trim away with your hand. Also, you can put your hand inside the clothing in order to pull it taut, and then trim away the pills.
Make sure you hold the scissors perfectly and close to the fabric. Don't be hurry, work gently and slowly to make sure you don't damage your fabric/cloth.
* Use velcro hair rollers to remove pilling:
Do you know you can use Velcro hair rollers for remove cloth pilling?. Hair rollers are ideal to use on delicate fabric like cashmere and wool fabric. Lay your clothing on a flat surface and pull it taut, and then lay the hair roller flat on the affected area. Gently roll the hair roller upwards, pills will get caught in the roller.
When you see your hair roller full of pilling, just take it up and clean the hair roller and start again and don't stop rolling until the area pill is free. After you have finished one area, just pick your roller up and move it another area if your clothing is pilled in several areas.
* Try a disposable shaving razor:
This is another easiest way to clean pilling from clothes. Take a new disposable shaving razor, Lay your fabric/cloth on a flat surface and then pull the fabric/cloth near the affected area taut with your one hand (If someone staying with you just tell him/her to help you), and gently shave the pilling with a razor.
# Shave your fabric slowly and gently to make sure you finished without any damage.
# Always use a new disposable razor, Don't use other type shaving razors.
2. Remove pills with pilling removing tools:
These methods are very effective ways to remove pilling from fabric. Before you start removing pills from fabric or cloth by following these methods, May you have to buy those tools from shop or online, If you don't have these tools at home.
* Use a fabric shaver ( fabric fuzz and pill remover):
Fabric shaver also we have known as an electric sweater shaver, we can use a fabric shaver to remove all type of fabric pills ( like we can shave over the sweaters, upholstery fabrics, clothing with a fabric shaver). A fabric shaver is more expansive than the other tools. It's a very fastest and effective method.
Lay your fabric, clothing on a flat surface and then shave it with your fabric shaver. Always apply to the fabric in small, and circular motions. Try to start with the lightest contact as possible and then increase as needed. You must continue shaving until the pills gone. Pills will accumulate in the shaver's barrel, Which you have to empty when it fills up.
* Use a fabric/ sweater comb:
Fabric comb specially made for removing pilling, It's different from a hair comb. Pull the fabric in a flat surface, and then pull the fabric taut and scrape the affected area only. Do it slowly and carefully to ensure that you don't damage your fabric.
* Use sweater or fabric stones:
Fabric or sweater stones specially designed for removing sweater pills. When you want to use sweater/fabric stone over the clothing or fabric, Just lay your fabric/cloth on a flat surface and pull flat your fabric/cloth, after that rub the stone over the affected area. Always do the job gently and carefully to make sure you don't damage your fabric or clothing.
I hope this article will help you to remove your cloth or fabric pills. Always try to care your fabric, if you treat your fabric/clothing properly, Your clothing/fabric will pill less. And when you remove pilling from clothing or fabric, remove them gently, slowly, and carefully, otherwise you will finish up with damages.